README.debian and other changes

Greetings,
	I am playing with packaging a new version of mico since it's been orphaned.
The README.debian file references the original packaged version and a blurb
about mico that may be inaccurate.  It seems that this file hasn't been
updated since it's original packaging.  Is it customary to leave this kind
of file alone or is there carte blanche to change it.  Also, in the
changelog, since I am not an official developer (yet), is it appropriate to
list in the changelog myself as a new maintainer or some blurb about it's
orphaning and my packaging?

Thanks,

Brooks