Re: sponsor wanted

Botond Botyanszki <boti@mick.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>>> http://gjiten.sourceforge.net
>>> So I'm looking for a sponsor who would upload it into debian.
>> I looked at it.  Comments:
>>
>> * This is not a Debian-native package, so you should provide
>>   both of .orig.tar.gz and .diff.gz .
> My package doesn't require an external patch (.diff.gz).
> As far as I understood from dpkg-source(1), if there are no external
> modifications, then the source package name doesn't need to contain
> .orig.
> From http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-sourcepkg.html:
>
> "If there is no original source code - for example, if the package is
> specially prepared for Debian or the Debian maintainer is the same as
> the upstream maintainer - the format is slightly different: then there
> is no diff, and the tarfile is named package_version.tar.gz and
> contains a directory package-version."
[...]

Hello,
There is a severe punishments with making a native package:
you've to release a new upstream version for every small change in
debian-tree (documentation update, fix in packaging).  With every change
of the upstream-version you have to reupload the _complete_ tarball,
straining the Debian mirror network and your online time. Changes to the
Debian part usually happen much more often than real upstream changes.

Therefore only real native packages like dpkg or debconf are acceptable
as "native package".

You should repack your software to gjiten_1.1.orig.tar.gz (containing
the real source, without the debian/ subdirectory) and create a diff.
               cu andreas