Re: pbuilder - root privileges? (was: Re: Orig tarball naming)

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:03:51PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
>> I think you need root privileges to actually enter the chroot jail.
>> Other than that, it does seem like it should be possible to build the
>> chroot image entirely in a fakeroot world, but I remember having tried
>> this and failing.
>
> You'd have to acquire real root privileges from inside the fakeroot,
> since the faked filesystem permissions go away as soon as that fakeroot
> process dies ...

pbuilder downloads and installs a bunch of stuff within a chroot jail,
and then packs that up into a tarball and deletes the build tree.
When you ask it to actually build something, it does a fresh unpack of
the tarball, installs your source package, and builds it, and deletes
the build tree when it's done.  So there's nothing actually persistent
between sessions besides the one tarball, and building that is pretty
much exactly the same as building Debian packages, which fakeroot
handles fine.

(I could see packages within the chroot wanting to do things like
start daemons when installed, though, and that might require real root
privileges.  I don't know if or how pbuilder/debootstrap deals with
this.)

	-- Abra Mitchell