Re: How to obtain current package version number?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:01:36PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 07:16:11 -0600, Graham Wilson <bob@decoy.wox.org> > wrote:
> >dpkg -l PACKAGE | awk '$2 ~ /PACKAGE/ { print $3 }'
>
> Well, I just said that I consider foo to be bad overkill, and you
> proceed to posting foo without any comment? Gee, this is what I
> consider helpful.

sorry. i guess i should have said that i dont consider dpkg --list to be
overkill, and the example code i was providing was a demonstration of
that, imo.

> >see policy section 6 for the ways in which maintainer scripts are
> >called.
>
> Well, I wouldn't have posted without first consulting policy and
> developer's reference. Section 6.4 doesn't seem to document any
> maintainer script of the package being installed being called with the
> new version number as a parameter, so I was actually hoping that dpkg
> sends that information in the environment or somewhere else.

in what particular maintainer script are you trying to get this
information?

> Maybe I have missed something, but again, simply hurling an
> unspecified pointer to the docs doesn't help.

sorry again. i will try to be more verbose next time.

--
gram