Re: Bug in last release is fixed in CVS - what to do?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 10:45:46AM +0000, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Marcin Juszkiewicz (debian-lists@hrw.one.pl) wrote:
> >I packaged ROX-Filer (http://rox.sf.net/). Some time ago version 2.0.0 was
> >released as stable so I changed few things in packaging. Now I have 3
> >packages:
>
> >What I should do now?
> >1. I can just integrate "rox-snapshot" into "rox" so this will be "always"
> >up-to-date with bugfixes.
> >2. Do some "cvs update" to "rox" to have this one bug fixed.
> >3. Create patch from CVS and apply it to ROX-Filer 2.0.0 sources.
> >
> >Which method is more Debian way?
>
> If the size of the patch is reasonable, a backport of the fix (i.e. something like 3
> but with manual review) is the best way to go. If you want to, use README.Debian to
> point people to the rox-snapshot package if they need the latest and greatest.
>
> Using the package "rox" for any cvs snapshot has the problem that the any version of
> rox you upload *might* be the one user's of the next stable release are stuck with.
>
> Whether or not it is necessary or adviasable to have three versions of the same
> thing in Debian seems to be another question.

Generally it's not reasonable, but for some specific cases where release
cycle is really low and/or every new version is not back-compatible
and could render a lot of programs unusable (e.g. this is the ratio for
releasing multiple autotools, python, etc).
All packages should be released as 'stable' with neeeded well-known
back-ported and checked patches from cvs or other sources of
information. CVS snapshots are definitively not for general use,
so please don't package them, without a very good reason.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine