Re: RFS schoolbell - A calenaring server for schools

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 02:06:14PM +0200, Brian Sutherland wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:12:39PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > On the whole, I think you've made a poor compromise.  I would suggest
> > picking one way or the other, and going all the way with it.  As it stands,
> > you're going to have trouble uploading a -2 of anything without a new
> > upstream tarball anyway, so you're best off just going full-native and being
> > done with it.
>
> Ok, so then a .dx (x = version number)attached to the relevant upstream
> version indicating the debian specific branch? I am worried about the
> resulting confusion because I should not bump the main projects version
> for debian specific changes.
>
> Could confuse Windows users:) "Why does debian have a bigger version?"

What about when you make a release that fixes a critical bug that only
manifests itself on Windows?  "Why does Windows have a bigger version?"

Two options: bump the subpatch version, or tack a .dx version on when you
need to fix the debian packaging.

You could always just handle Debian changes the same way you would with
any other changes -- make a new upstream release whenever there's a bug big
enough to warrant it, otherwise just put it into the next regular release.

I just had another thought -- make a -1 revision with an empty diff.  Weird,
but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work...

- Matt