Re: RFS: cdrbq -- graphical cd burning frontend

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:31:45AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

>>> This will only make a symlink if cdrtoaster isn't installed.  But is
>>> there a way to make the symlink if cdrtoaster is installed, and then
>>> gets removed??  This is probably a job for the alternatives system.

>> I think the last sentence here is the best comment.  Maybe I'm missing
>> something, but this sounds like a job for alternatives from the start to
>> me rather than creating symlinks in /usr/bin.

> Good of you to confirm it, 'cause I've never used them myself :)

I actually think I misunderstood, since I came into this discussion in the
middle.  Upstream renamed cdrtoaster to cdrbq?  If the plan is to remove
cdrtoaster from Debian in favor of cdrbq, alternatives (or diversions)
aren't the right choice.  Those are both for cases where two packages need
to coexist for the indefinite future, providing alternative
implementations of the same functionality.

If cdrbq is the replacement for cdrtoaster, I'd create a cdrtoaster
transitional package from the cdrbq source package that contains just the
symlink and maybe a NEWS entry telling people that cdrtoaster is now cdrbq
and they should start using cdrbq and can then remove the cdrtoaster
package.  And make that transitional package depend on cdrbq.  After the
next stable release, you can remove the transitional package.

(Alternately, you could just drop cdrtoaster, package cdrbq, and not worry
about it, but I think transitional packages are a lot nicer for users.)