Re: RFS: sysinfo -- simple GNU/Linux program that displays computer/system information

Carlo Segre <segre@iit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> Mario Iseli <mario@marioiseli.com> wrote:
>>
>>> debian/changelog:
>>>   * Initial Debian Release (Closes: 333680)
>>> This makes no sense, it is a debian package so the "debian" can be
>>> ommited, the rest is ok.
>>
>> If Adriaan previously published deb packages in his local repository, it
>> might well make sense to speak of an initial Debian release.
>>

> This raises a question.  If I have been packaging some software for
> some time and finally decide to get it into Debian, should I wipe out
> the entire changelog, remove any epochs that might have been used, etc?

IMO, if you think that you had many users of your private repository
that will continue to use it in Debian, I would prefer to keep a
consistent versioning scheme.  On the other hand, if you only used it
locally, or otherwise have a means to contact all users, it's of course
nicer to start without an epoch and with a -1 Debian revision.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich