Re: Rationale behind script-not-executable lintian warning

On 23-Dec-2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > A shebang line is more than documentation: it is a strong
> > indication that the script will be executable from the command
> > line. To have that expectation not be matched by the file's
> > permission mode is a recipe for confusion.
>
> The fact that the script is not in the path isn't enough for you
> here?

There are many executables, that I can invoke from the command line by
typing their explicit location, that are not in the default executable
path on a Debian system.

> And don't you think that anyone who knows that a shebang lines
> indicates executability from the command line would easily solve the
> problem of a "permission denied"?

The confusion I refer to is not "how do I fix this?" but rather "why
is there a mismatch, and what is the intended behaviour?" That there
is a mismatch at all is the confusion.

--
 \      "We must become the change we want to see."  -- Mahatma Gandhi |
Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>