communication, friendlyness, DDs (Re: Ubuntu-to-Debian packaging)

Hi,

On Sunday 02 December 2007 13:19, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> > > Thats bad. You should not answer to such questions if you don't know it
> > > for your self! Thats especially true because of your DD status that
> > > causes others to give your saying more confidence.
> >
> > Please, try to keep friendly, I don't think there's anything in this
> > discussion that needs this kind of langage..
>
> Really, it may have sounded more rude to you, then it was meant to be.
> But I was really annoyed by such a statement,

That rather implies you were unfriendly, at least I'm often (too) unfriendly,
when I'm "really annoyed". Also, in communication it is totally irrelevant
how you (the sending end) ment something. What matters in communication is
how the receiving end perceives it and what the sending end ment, is almost
totaly irrelevant.

> because it was made on a
> list where a lot of people come to actively _seek_ help and advise from
> people who _should_ really know it better then themselves. More then
> anywhere else beeing a DD is an important status here, because people
> expect a DD to be the best mentor they can imagine and as those to know
> policies, best practices or at least to be able to look for them during
> a discussion.

Then let me tell you with my oh-my-god-DD!-status, that most DDs expect
friendlyness when interacting with fellow developers (being them DDs or
not) :-) Sure, most of us can life with a flame here or a heated argument
there, but at least I do expect to be treated friendly. Anytime, everywhere.

And, DDs don't know everything and don't have to know everything as well. José
shared his experiences with you and the list and when he was in NM he was
told by a DD (! :) that he should remove the old changelog and that he is not
sure if there is a policy for this. And he made it through NM with this
advice and all his NM communication was read by his AM, FD and DAM. Can't be
that wrong.

He also indicated he might be wrong (as things might have changed) and that
his knowledge is limited (doh! just like anybody elses on this planet) -
what's wrong with that? It's rather good for two reasons: people know that
they should not take his advice (in this matter) for granted and people can
correct him and inform the list and point out the policy about keeping
changelogs or not.

And as this post has been made more than a week ago and since many
knowledgable people read+write here, I think it's safe to conclude that no
such policy exists.

There are good arguments in favor of keeping old changelog entries (when
merging from "previous distributions") but there are also good for removing
it. For example if you dont plan to merge back and forth in future (IME I
cannot just take ubuntus patches and apply them, so the patching argument is
not (always) true) and/or if those changelog entries are irrelevant for
Debian/the current state of the package. (For example when the packaging was
started with cdbs in $distribution, then moved to yada and now is maintained
with debhelper. Why keep kilobytes of changelog describing fixing problems
with cdbs packaging, if the package itself is only as big as the
changelog ;-)

And, yes, the packaging is copyrightable and has a licence. A licence which is
a free software licence, which allows modification...

regards,
	Holger