Re: mentors.debian.net rejects orig.tar."bz2"

Hi,

From: Christoph Haas
Subject: Re: mentors.debian.net rejects orig.tar."bz2"
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:15:52 +0100

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 05:40:44PM +0100, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> > >  I've uploaded package to mentors.debian.net but it failed because
> > > mentors rejects its orig.tar.bz2 file.
> > >
> > >  It says "You just uploaded a diff file
> > > (ttf-vlgothic_20071215-1.diff.gz) without an upstream tarball (should
> > > have been 'ttf-vlgothic_20071215.orig.tar.gz')." I did it as
> > > ttf-vlgothic_20071215.orig.tar.bz2.

> I believe I recently read something about dpkg-buildpackage supporting
> orig.tar.bz2 now. If that's true then I'll have to fix
> mentors.debian.net. Can somebody give us a hint?

This issue was discussed a few days ago on this list:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2007/12/threads.html#00285

I know the ability to compress *binary* packages with bzip2 has been
supported in dpkg-dev, as announced on debian-devel-announce:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/12/msg00007.html

However, I don't know such an ability for *source* packages.  I have
found a changelog entry of dpkg as follows:

 dpkg  (1.14.10) unstable; urgency=low

   (...snip...)
   * dpkg-source now correctly identifies the extension of the
     orig.tar.{gz,bz2,lzma} file and won't unexpectedly create "Format: 2.0"
     .dsc files.

I think this means creating .dsc files including .orig.tar.bz2 is not
an intended behaviour and is a bug of dpkg.  Is this interpretation
correct?

# Yeah, I am one who wants to use orig.tar.bz2 if it is supported.

Thanks,

-nori