Re: [pkg-ntp] - where does /etc/default/ntpdate come from?

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:53:39PM +0100, D. Pathirana wrote:
> Dear mentors!
>
> I am new in Debian Package Maintaining. I try to build some packages for
> my own to get a feeling how everything works. I have read a few
> docs[1][2] to find a solution for a specific problem that bugs me since
> days now...
>
> I would have asked the pkg-ntp-maintainers list for help but Chapter 10
> of the Debian New Maintainers' Guide[3] tells me to ask here first.. I
> hope it's correct and somebody can help...
>
> So here is my problem:
>
> I've been trying to figure out how the installation process of the
> package "ntpdate" works. After installation the configuration file
> "/etc/default/ntpdate" is created. But: I can not find any evidence of
> it being used throughout the whole debian directory in the source-package.
dpkg -L ntpdate |xargs grep -e /etc/default/ntpdate

Also (not so useful in this case):
find /var/lib/dpkg/info |xargs grep -we etc/default/ntpdate

> Actually there IS THE file in "debian/ntpdate.default" but is never
> refered in the rules file or elsewhere.
>
> I believe it has something to do with .default suffix but I was not able
> to find any docs about what and how it is going on. So where does the
> magic happen?
I just realized that you weren't asking where the file is used at
runtime but rather at compile time.  Check dh_installinit (debhelper
uses lots of these kinds of input files).

Justin