Re: RFS: dblatex (updated package): 2nd try

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:12:03PM +0100, Andreas Hoenen wrote:
> > I don't know if there's anything on mentors.d.o that stops you from
> > doing this, but I'd personally say you don't need to bump versions
> > before the package actually gets into the archive, so you could just
> > stick with '-1' for a Debian version, so merging the changelog entries
> > should do the trick.
>
> I rememer a thread on this mailing list starting with [1] that discussed
> the issue of reusing the same version number for different uploads to
> mentors.debian.net.  Most participants agreed to use a new version
> number for each upload.  I like this approach, as m.d.n. is public, thus
> somehow the upload to m.d.n already is a form of distribution.  And it
> gets quite confusing if there exist different distributions with the
> same version number.

What I did with the last times I was sponsored, and what I'll ask
those I sponsor in the future, is to use ~n suffixes in the m.d.n
uploads. Thus, if the desired debian upload is n.n-1, I'd recommend
your mentors upload to be -1~1 Then, if there are modifications,
work thru -1~2 ... When the final version for upload is reached,
I'll merge the changelog entries and upload -1. That has the virtue of

* Never releasing different versions under the same number.
* Allowing *me* to easily compare and archive intermediate versions.
* All mentors uploads have version numbers < than debian uploads.

This, of course, is not my idea. Someone in that thread proposed it
and I liked it.

In the end, as that thread concluded, all this is highly a matter of
sponsor taste.

--
Rodrigo Gallardo
GPG-Fingerprint: 7C81 E60C 442E 8FBC D975  2F49 0199 8318 ADC9 BC28