Re: MIME support in Debian.

Le Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 11:01:21PM +0100, Daniel Leidert a écrit :

> Current GNOME and the upcoming KDE 4 both uses the shared-mime-info
> database in /usr/share/mime.
>
> IMHO you should only try to support the mailcap/metamail and the fd.o
> shared-mime-info systems.

Hi Daniel,

many thanks for your answer, I will do what you suggest :
mailcap/metamail and fd.o support. If I understood correctly, to do so,
I need to:

 - Have a MimeType entry in the .desktop file.
 - Have a debian/packagename.mime file in the source package and call
   dh_installmime.

I did not find the way to associate a file suffix to the program. Is
MIME the way to go ? The goal would be that mail user agents and
webservers would use the right mime type with attached/downloaded files,
and that doubleclicking on local files would make them opened by a
relevant program.

I have another question: can subcategories starting by x- created
freely? The program I am working on is Treeview X, a phylogenetic tree
viewer that can read Clustal W format. It is text based, so David
Paleino, our collaborator from the Debian-Med packaging team, suggested
text/clustalw-tree. But maybe I can submit a wishlist bug on
chemical-mime-data to have chemical/clustalw-tree from your namespace ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org