Re: Information

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 08:30:11AM +0100, Jean-Christian BEDIER wrote:
> 2007/12/25, Mauro <lavaramano@gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Dec 24, 2007 5:17 PM, Jean-Christian BEDIER <jc.bedier@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Thanks for your answer, i'm actually working on warning when i use
> > lintian,
> > > some of them seems to be strange, maybe someone could help me a little
> > bit?
> >
> > could you paste those warnings here or on http://pastebin.com/ ?
> > in my small experience, those warnings are mostly because you missed
> > something in the control file, or the files in the directory debian
> > are not well formated.
>
> Hi,
>
> I wish you add a merry xmas ;)
>
> Next a pastebin link for my lintian warning:
>
> http://pastebin.com/m4a6f2da0
>
> Thanks for your help !

Just a note: the lintian utility itself explains some of its warnings in
more detail if you give it the "-i" option, as in:

  lintian -i backup-nas-0.1-1_i386.changes

Also, it may give even more information (meaning warnings ;) if you add
the "-I" (uppercase "i") option:

  lintian -Ii backup-nas-0.1-1_i386.changes

So... let's take a look at the warnings that are troubling you, one by one.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Debian developer, I just try to help sometimes :)

> W: backup-nas: binary-without-manpage backup-nas // OK i understand this
> one no problem

Yep, that's a pretty clearly worded warning :)  It is part of the Debian
Policy that every binary, be it an executable program, a script, or
whatnot, should have a manual page.  Now you have two options - either
write a manual page and incorporate it into your "real" source (in the
backup-nas-0.1.tar.gz, I assume, although it might be better to release
a new version with the manual page), or write a manual page as part of
the Debian package.  If your Debian package uses debhelper, take a look
at the dh_installman(1) program - it will look for an e.g. backup-nas.1
file in your debian/ directory and do the right thing with it.
Of course, there are other ways to handle Debian-specific manual pages,
too.

> W: backup-nas: executable-not-elf-or-script
> ./etc/backup-nas/backup-nas.conf // Why ? i already add this path in
> my conffiles

The problem here is not that it is not a conffile, but that it has been
installed with the executable bit set.  The lintian utility examines the
permissions on all files that a package installs, and it considers a
file to be executable if it, well, has the "x" bit set in its mode :)
What commands do you use to actually place the backup-nas.conf file into
the staging area's etc/ directory?  Maybe you should specify a mode
there - 644 would be more like a config file, maybe even 600 if only
root should be able to see its contents.

> W: backup-nas: syntax-error-in-debian-changelog line 7 "badly
> formatted heading line"

There seem to be two things wrong with the last line of your changelog:
- it does not start with a space, but "--" straight away;
- there is only one space after your e-mail address before the date.

Take a look at section 4.4 of the Debian Policy; the last line of your
changelog should be more like:

 -- Jean-Christian BEDIER <jc.bedier@mymail.com>  Mon, 24 Dec 2007 22:38:49 -0700

(note the leading space and the additional space before "Mon")

Another comment about your changelog file: you seem to be leaving two
blank lines between entries; one should be enough :)

> W: backup-nas: syntax-error-in-debian-changelog line 7 "found eof
> where expected more change data or trailer"

This is a follow-up to the previous warning - it's just that lintian
could not find a line that says who made the last slew of changes and
when, simply because it could not parse your changelog's last line.

Hope this helps; try to fix these warnings (I hope my advice has been at
least somewhat correct), and feel free to ask for more help if needed :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@cnsys.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org