Re: MIME support in Debian.

CC to Charles, because his mails are e week old.

Am Montag, den 24.12.2007, 22:18 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:

> To summarise our discussion, I have created the following wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/MimeTypesSupport

Ok, I will take a look at it.

[snip]
> There are still two things I am wondering:
>
>  - Do the packages need to depend on mime-support and shared-mime-info ?

No. For shared-mime-info, packages can put their stuff
into /usr/share/mime/packages even if shared-mime-info is not installed.
When it gets installed, everything in the mentioned directory is
processed. It is some nice-to-have for many/most? users, but nothing
that must be installed.

You could discuss, if the package should be part of every desktop-task
(dselect and similar), if it is not yet.

>  - If two programs can open files with a given suffix, they have to ship the
> same .sharedmimeinfo file.

You mean the following case: A MIME type is not defined in the
shared-mime-info database (/usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml)
but two programs can process it. These two programs can be installed
independent from each other und you want both programs to install the
file to define/detect the MIME type, right? The solution to this problem
is, to request an addition of this MIME type to the shared-mime-info
package. The other working solution is to use a diversion and move the
file from the already installed package out of /usr/share/mime/packages.

Regards, Daniel