Re: RFS: liblunar and lunar-applet

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:31:40PM +0800, LI Daobing wrote:
> lunar-applet is chinese calendar applet for gnome environment. it's
> version is 2.0-1 in this upload(in sid it's 1.8)
>
> in lunar-applet 2.0, the library part is separated to liblunar by upstream.

I'll look at lunar-applet after the library is through new, otherwise it
becomes uninstallable until the library gets in the archive.

> PS. I have set DM-Upload-Allowed in these two packages.

I don't think this is a good idea, for two reasons:

- You're not a DM, so it's removing a safety check without any current
  need.  That means that when/if you would become a DM, this check would
  be skipped, possibly unnoticed.  It's better if this would be done
  explicitly when there is an actual intention of uploading this package
  as a DM (so after you are a DM at least).

- This flag should IMO only be added when the uploader has shown that he
  or she can maintain this package well.  This means that the sponsor
  must have done a few uploads of this package for this maintainer
  already.  (Only when using the DM status as a workaround for the slow
  account creation, can this be skipped, IMO, but you're not at that
  stage yet. ;-) ).

Some comments about the package itself:

- The library version is complex.  This is probably upstream's choice,
  in which case it's fine.  Libraries normally have a [base]-[version]
  and [base]-dev package.  That means the base name of this library is
  liblunar-1.  Gtk+ uses a similar naming, but personally I don't think
  it's needed to do this until version 2 is needed *and* it is such a
  big change that porting old applications is not reasonable, *and*
  there are enough old applications to keep providing the old version as
  a -dev package next to the new version.  Most libraries don't ever get
  in that state, so they don't need such a complex version.

- Packages containing functionality for use in a script language should
  be named lib<package>-<language>, in this case liblunar-python instead
  of python-lunar.

- In the copyright file you use (C).  This is said to be legally
  meaningless, you should use the complete word "Copyright" instead
  (which means it's on some lines twice).  Also, it needs a time
  indication (years are good enough).  You have that for your packaging,
  but not for the main program.  Summary: for every copyright holder,
  you need a line of they type "Copyright [year] [name] [email]".  The
  email can be omitted.  For every piece of code you also need a
  license, but you have that already. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html