Re: Can't open man1/optin.so: No such file or directory

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 16:10 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  I am working on the dicom3tools package. The dicom3tools is writing
> the man page using groff '.so' macro (source) (*). Which leads to the
> following lintian warning :
>
> W: dicom3tools: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> usr/share/man/man1/andump.1.gz  can't open man1/optin.so: No such file
> or directory

I use the gsoelim command from the groff package to resolve all of the
includes, and install the output.  I do not install the include files at
all.  The makefile fragments look like this, although you will need to
modify them to suit the particular project:

$(mandir)/man1/%.1: man1/%.1
     gsoelim %.1 > $@

Advantages:
- there are no include directives in the installed .gz files
- you don't have to worry about whether or not to keep the .so file
uncompressed, and
- there is no ambiguity as to whether or not a .so file is a shared
library or something else.

Disadvantages:
- line numbers will be wrong in error messages from groff when
processing broken installed man pages.

--
Regards
Peter Miller <pmiller@opensource.org.au>

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.