Re: warning: patches have not been applied, applying them now (use --no-preparation to override)

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:59:14PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 12:29:22PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
> > dpkg-source: info: local changes stored in
> > dcmtk-3.6.0/debian/patches/debian-changes-3.6.0-1, the modified files
> > are:
> >  dcmtk-3.6.0/config/config.guess
> >  dcmtk-3.6.0/config/config.sub

In this particular case, you want to delete these files in clean, there's no
point shipping them since that means risking an outdated version which fails
to handle new architectures.

> > Should I be doing something else ?
>
> if you do not need other features of the 3.0 format, reverting to 1.0 will be
> the simplest option.

Even with no direct need, it's better to use 3.0, since 1.0 has many
downsides, and 3.0 only a single big one: quilt.  It is easy to convert 3.0
(quilt) to 3.0 (sane) by "rm -rf .pc debian/patches" in the clean target.
One command and you return to this millenium with version control and other
basic necessities.  (I've seen quilt in version control, it's not pretty.)

No need to repack .orig to .gz, no need to uuencode binaries, support for
many tarballs, and so on.  Not to mention .xz being nearly half the size of
.gz, and our fine ftpmasters going to enable them soon.

Sadly, there's no 3.0 (plain) -- 3.0 (native) is inappropriate, and 3.0
(git) is not yet allowed (which I especially miss).

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be