Re: what if upstream provides debian build directory

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:41:00PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > What is Debian's policy, if upstream provides its own debian
> > directory or package build procedure? Is upstream always right?
>
> There's no official policy, but generally speaking, you should use a
> non-native package. The one exception to this is a case where every
> Debian release will also entail a new upstream release.

Sounds reasonable

> You can also suggest to upstream that they include the debian
> directory in a examples directory or similar, so that it doesn't get
> in the way of packaging (or just not distribute it in the main package
> at all.)

Well I guess if they include an up-to-date debian directory they intend that it
should be used so moving it away may not be feasable...

> > What if upstream's package sets conflict with Debian's packages, and
> > I want to install upstream's packages? Is it the DM's responsibility
> > to avoid this conflict or to preserve compatibility? Famous example
> > for this would be the Linux kernel sources.
>
> It's the maintainer's responsibility to make sure the package in
> Debian is the highest quality possible.

Very good spoken words!

> Generally this means working
> with upstream so that the patches don't conflict, but sometimes
> upstream has a different set of goals than a distribution packager,
> and compromises and divergences need to exist. There's no hard and
> fast rule here either, but the best thing is to communicate and work
> with your upstream.

Maybe you should talk with upstream about their intention for having a version
of the debian directory?

> Don Armstrong

Harald Jenny