Re: subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 18:28:29 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>   I am working on the dcmtk package. I get a bizarre behavior when
> trying to uninstall it:
>
> [..]
> Stopping DCMTK Central Test Node: dcmqrscpdpkg: error processing dcmtk
> (--remove):
>  subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> configured to not write apport reports
>                                       Starting DCMTK Central Test
> Node: dcmqrscp.
>  dcmtk

What do you have in your debian/*prerm ?

> Now as soon as I change set -e into set -x in /etc/init.d/dcmqrscp, I
> can uninstall it properly:
> [..]

That's because of the behaviour of "set -e" (from "help set"):

  -e  Exit immediately if a command exits with a non-zero status.

i.e. something in your prerm is returning non-zero, and isn't properly
handled. By not setting -e (i.e. changing it into -x, or deleting it,
or...), you simply disable this behaviour, which is discouraged.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino