Re: want to get involved to fix blt package

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, Paul Gevers wrote:
>> On 22-01-13 04:26, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> > I just kicked up some dust about getting the blt package fixed for Wheezy.
>>
>> If you want this in Wheezy, please read the freeze-policy [1] and make
>> sure that your package has minimal changes to fix the bug.

>> I haven't looked, but from your description it seems too invasive for a
>> freeze acceptation. It is probably ok for experimental.
>
> And even if this is the case (i.e. can't go to Wheezy because the changes
> are too big), it is still worthwhile because if the package gets fixed in
> experimental, it can go to unstable and after a while, it can be uploaded
> to wheezy-backports.

In order to be a maintainer, I have to find one of the DMs in person
and show ID and get a key signed.  That may take some time.

In the interim, is there anybody who is able to upload changes who is
willing to review what I'm proposing?

I don't think the changes are massive. The aim is to just get these 3
patches that the Fedora folks have been using since 2010.   blt is a
pre-quilt package, the source was not pristine in the slightest. All
the changes by the previous blt maintainer are now segregated to one
patch file. Reading through that, I can see that almost all of the
changes were spelling corrections and grammatical revision of help
files.  There's quite a bit of fiddling in config.guess and config.sub
that was done, that part is not my specialty.

Even if I don't sneak this into Wheezy, I'll still accept transition
into Experimental or wherever. Its better than what I've been doing
since 2010, which is posting the packages on a web page and telling
the researchers to go get them.

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep trying to find somebody in the Kansas
City area who is a DM to sign my key, which I've uploaded:

pub   4096R/8FE944B5 2013-01-20
      Key fingerprint = B7BC 49E2 999D 7887 3200  60E0 7597 F322 8FE9 44B5
uid                  Paul E. Johnson (Debian Packaging)
<pauljohn32@freefaculty.org>
sub   4096R/C79494EC 2013-01-20

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director