Re: Newbie questions: open ITP before RTS?

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:

>> The files you created get copyright automatically (in most
>> jurisdictions) and the default license for copyrighted files is 'all
>> rights reserved', meaning no-one can do anything at all with it while
>> complying with the law. If you don't add a license, no-one who isn't
>> willing to disobey the law can distribute your files, this includes
>> Debian and mentors.debian.net.
>
> I was hoping that the wildcard line in the current debian/copyright:
>
> Files: *
>
> would also cover files under debian/ but if that's not the case, I can
> add an explicit stanza for debian/* - no problem.

It's often the case that someone who packages something for debian
isn't directly involved upstream or is a member of upstream's
organization, so although he/she may choose the same license as
upstream for debian/*, the copyright line would be entirely different.
I think that's why dh_make's default debian/copyright template has a
separate stanza for debian/*, as well as pretty much every single
package I've come across. I'd encourage you to explicitly add an
additional stanza to cover debian/* even if you were upstream.

Regards,
Vincent