Re: vtk, another upload might be needed

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Gianfranco Costamagna
<costamagnagianfranco@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi Vincent, Julian, Jordi and debian-mentors,
>
> unfortunately this morning on irc Julian Taylor pointed out that this
> release breaks tcl/tk 8.6 underlinking
> Seems that the upload of -15.1 was not completely correct

just to clarify, the upload is technically correct, the underlinking
seems fixed.
The issue is that vtk is using tcl/tk 8.5 while some parts of debian
are already using tcl/tk 8.6
both versions of tcl/tk are incompatible and cannot be used at the same time.
as vtk is a base library it using 8.5 is a problem because any
component using 8.6 will crash when it somehow also uses vtk.
An example is python-scitools which can use tcl 8.6 via
matplotlib/python-tk and tcl 8.5 via vtk. This causes a crash on
startup (note matplotlib is currently broken due to another
uncoordinated tcl/tk change (multiarch))

The state of the tcl/tk migration is currently unclear to me, and so
is also what vtk should use.
Due to the incompatiblity all tcl/tk libraries and apps that are
connected need to be moved to the same version in one go and not each
package at its leisure. I'm not familiar with the vtk dependency graph
to judge if it is the right time to move vtk to 8.6 yet.
I add the tcl maintainer Sergei Golovan maybe he can clarify what we should do.

Somewhat related: I noticed that the tcl bindings of vtk 6 are not
working at all. It does not find the tcl libraries in their multiarch
location.
See
apt-get install tcl-vtk6 tclsh; tclsh
package require vtk
couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libvtkCommonCoreTCL-6.1.so":
/usr/lib/libvtkCommonCoreTCL-6.1.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory