Re: Sample Debian package to show-case all

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM, T o n g wrote:

> If we can influence upstream, why don't we get their structure right at
> the first place? If Debian can't influence it, then I believe no other
> distro on earth can influence it. I mean, nowadays Debian is so powerful
> and the line between upstream and Debian is becoming thinner and thinner.

Debian usually isn't involved at the point of creation of upstream
software so we don't have much influence over the initial structure.
Debian and distros in general are not universally liked by upstream
developers, I think we have much less influence you appear to. Some
upstreams are affiliated with other distros and thus dislike Debian's
way of doing things. Some upstreams are actively hostile towards
Debian. A lot of upstreams are too busy to look at patches. Some
refuse all patches no matter their source. We don't live in an ideal
world and patches are sadly often necessary.

> Anyway, for my simple case, I meant to say what if I inherit a .c, a .1
> and .html file and need the structure in place to properly pack them.
> E.g., what's the best way to deal with .1 man pages, etc.

Without having seen the actual upstream you are talking about I would
say the following.

Until upstream becomes more advanced:

Put the commands for compiling directly in debian/rules.

Use dh_installman to install the manual page.

Use dh_installdocs to install the HTML file.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise