Re: What option should I now use to do source only builds

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 08:22:36AM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> So just as with sbuild I don't see why anybody would want to *only* build the
> source package inside a chroot. Since the source package is the *input* to the
> whole operation, you would just get back what you already put in.

The only gain would be in a situation where you can't run the clean
target outside of the chroot, due to missing dependencies, so
`dpkg-source -b .` will produce an "unclean" source.  After moving it
inside a throw-away chroot with the build-deps installed you can call
the clean rules, and produce the source again, which will be "cleaner"
than the one produced outside.
Personally I'd call this case quite borderline and unusual, especially
in this world of git where the working directory is easily cleaned by a
`git clean -fdx` et al.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo