Re: building both monolithic command line program and shared library from single source package, ddcutil

On 1/27/20 4:26 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
lintian detects a few minor issues in the source and binary packages
that I suggest polishing off. The main one for me is to include symbols
files so that dependencies on libddcutil2 can be minimised to the
version that introduced each of the used symbols, this won't do
anything right now but after a number of years of symbol additions, it
helps ease upgrades between Debian releases.

lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental --pedantic --show-overrides --color auto *.changes
https://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles

BTW, once the shared library is available in Debian you might want to
use pkg-abidiff and abipkgdiff (they are complementary) to ensure that
you don't break the ABI accidentally before every release.

https://github.com/lvc/pkg-abidiff
https://sourceware.org/libabigail/manual/abipkgdiff.html
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/192731475679616@web2g.yandex.ru
Thanks.
ddccontrol relies on its monitor database for feature interpretation.
It seems like ddcutil also needs a monitor database for the
interpretation of manufacturer specific features, according to the
`ddcutil capabilities` command, mine has seven, with six of them having
the interpretation unavailable.
True. ddcutil internals were reworked some time ago for what I call User Supplied Feature Definitions. (See the notes for release 0.9.3 in www.ddcutil.com/release_notes and http://www.ddcutil.com/c_api_93/.) What remains to be done is what I'll refer to as the externals.   Presently, feature definitions are read from a file in the current directory having a homegrown format, which allowed for testing.  I expect to convert the file to YAML.  A proper search path for definition files needs to be implemented. The API needs a way to specify feature definitions. Perhaps ddcui should have a dialog for defining features.  Etc, etc.