Re: Question about building a deb package

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 11:32:55AM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 11:44:46AM +0800, Yunmei Li wrote:
> > I am new to building deb packages, and I would like some help with a
> > question.
> > I am trying to build a deb package for Milvus(https://milvus.io/) on
> > Ubuntu18.04 or Ubuntu 20.04. Building Milvus requires Cmake 3.18 or higher,
> > but the latest version of cmake is 3.16 on Ubuntu 20.04 (golang has the
> > same situation). Could I directly use the cmake binary when building my
> > package?

I don't understand what the "directly use the cmake binary" means.
When cmake is needed, have cmake in the build environment ...

> > Or is there any other solution?

And I don't understand the problem  :-/

Is the problem

   Upstream saying "cmake 3.18 meter long works for us" and
   Yunmei asking "Will cmake of size 3.16 meter be long enough?"

or

   Upstream saying "We us features from cmake that first appeared in 3.18"
   and Yunmei reporting "I did one attempt and got some build error"

?

> As this mailing list is specifically about Debian contributions, this is
> offtopic here (both because the question is about Ubuntu and because it's
> about packaging for local use).

There is no need for alienating people that have a question
about building .debs

In http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is documented
that it is OK to ignore questions that don't deserve your time.

Show the world that you understand
that this is the mailinglinglist  debian-mentors@lists.debian.org

> For official packages the only common option would be to not build it on
> systems where the required dependency versions are not available.

Do not tell it can't be done to people who are already doing it.
More thruths in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1925

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--