Re: Question about building a deb package

On 25.02.22 07:32, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 11:44:46AM +0800, Yunmei Li wrote:
I am new to building deb packages, and I would like some help with a
question.
I am trying to build a deb package for Milvus(https://milvus.io/) on
Ubuntu18.04 or Ubuntu 20.04. Building Milvus requires Cmake 3.18 or higher,
but the latest version of cmake is 3.16 on Ubuntu 20.04 (golang has the
same situation). Could I directly use the cmake binary when building my
package? Or is there any other solution?

As others have already replied, for your local packages you are
completely free to do just anything, really. However, if you want
others, the automated builders of the release in particular, to rebuild
your package then this is not helpful.

If you are stuck with these older versions of Ubuntu then you could
backport cmake 3.18 to these releases. How exactly this works in Ubuntu
I cannot tell. You may want to start here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Best,
Steffen