Dealing with library using upstream version as SOVERSION

Hi debian-mentors,

I'm working on packaging [vpp] which installs a number of shared libraries
that may want to be used by other Debian packages in the future.

[vpp]: https://github.com/fdio/vpp/

However upstream just uses their release version in SONAME which doesn't
seem very useful. Is it good form to override this in the Debian package or
should I conform to what upstream is doing and deal with the fallout once a
reverse dependency is actually introduced and a new release comes out?

I've read the shared library policy section but since this is my first
library package I'm not sure I fully get all the implications of these
choices.

Thanks,
--Daniel