Re: Error when building using iconv to convert problematic encondings to UTF-8

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 08:18:43PM +0200, Jose G. López wrote:
> I'm working on importing a new upstream version for scid package and I want to get rid of "national-encoding" lintian warning.
Are you sure converting that file is useful and won't break the software for the
use cases when this file is used?

> --- Output ---
> iconv -f ISO-8859-15 -t UTF-8 -o /home/josgalo/devel/debian/packaging/scid/build-area/scid-4.7.4+dfsg1/debian/tmp/scid/usr/share/scid/tcl/lang/hungary.tcl \
> 	/home/josgalo/devel/debian/packaging/scid/build-area/scid-4.7.4+dfsg1/debian/tmp/scid/usr/share/scid/tcl/lang/hungary.tcl
Your input and output file is the same. Looks like iconv crashes with
SIGBUS in this case, instead of just silently truncating the file or
something like that, as many other tools would do in this case. If you
really want to convert the file, you need to output the result to a
different file and then move it to the old location.

> make[1]: *** [debian/rules:23: override_dh_auto_install] Error del bus
Please run your commands with LANG=C if you intend to show the output when
asking for help.

--
WBR, wRAR