Re: dh_install by file suffix

On 2023-07-15 Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,

> I am upgrading one of my packages (iraf) to a new version. The new version
> comes with a "make install", which installs everything under /usr/lib/iraf/
> (and some other places).

> The "iraf" source package needs to divide these files into user related
> files (for the "iraf" and "iraf-noao" packages) and development related
> files (for "iraf-dev" and "iraf-noao-dev"). The problem is now, that the
> division is (mainly) by extension:

> - *.cl, *.hd, *.men, *.par (... and some other extensions) should go to
>   the user packages

> - *.a, *.h should go to the development packages

> (the "iraf" and "iraf-noao" package differ mainly by that "iraf" collects
> them in the pkg/ subdir, and "iraf-noao" in the noao subdir).

> The main question here is: how can I do a dh_install selective by file
> suffix? Otherwise, I would need to list the (~1000) files in the "install"
> files, which is not very robust.

Hello Olaf,

dh_install(1)
  debian/package.install
    [...] The format is a set of lines, where each line lists a
    file or files to install, and at the end of the line tells the
    directory it should be installed in.
    [...] You may use wildcards in the names of the files to install.

debian/tmp/usr/lib/iraf/*.cl /targetdirfor_cl/

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'