Package with both git submodules and a repack

Hello,

I am packaging a program that has a lot of git submodules needed to
build. Most of them are third party libraries that I can replace with
Debian packages, but there are still a few that I need to keep. I would
like to do a repack to remove most of them for easier d/copyright.

I did some research, and it turns out that gbp can make tarballs with
submodules, but I can't find any repacking features. I could use uscan
for that, but the tarballs it downloads from GitHub don't include any
submodules. I could make my own tarballs with submodules and manually
repack them, but I feel like there should be a better way to do this.
How can I best deal with both submodules and repacking at the same time?

Thanks,
--
Ben Westover