Help on updating two python packages

hi everyone,

in 2020, I learned how to package debian packages and created two python packages

over the last few years, the upstream git repos of both projects had been updated but the watch files failed to detect new releases.

I still have access to both packages on salsa

https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/pyjdata
https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/pybj

I just tried the following steps to update the packages

1. modify the debian/watch file to watch pypi releases

2. run uscan, download the new upstream tarball

3. commit the change of the watch file

4. run gbp import-orig --pristine-tar  ../newpackage.orig.tar.gz

5. update files under debian/

6. git push --all

after this, I noticed that pyjdata CI failed with with the following errors

https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/pyjdata/-/pipelines/659403

dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see /tmp/pyjdata_0.3.6-1+salsaci+20240330+8.diff.yssV2X
1094dpkg-source: info: Hint: make sure the version in debian/changelog matches the unpacked source tree
1095dpkg-source: info: you can integrate the local changes with dpkg-source --commit
1096dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b . subprocess returned exit status 2

for pybj, ci tasks finished ok, but the test-crossbuild-arm64 job failed

https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/pybj/-/pipelines/659410

I am wondering if anyone can help me resolve these issues - was there any problem for the steps I took? any pointers on how to properly update a package to new upstream release would be appreciated.

also, I noticed that uscan downloads from pypi appear to include an .egg-info folder that is not part of my git source repo. is this a problem? is monitoring github release/tag a better way or pypi is preferred?

thanks

Qianqian