Re: XFree86 problems on an Indy

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Manuel Estrada Sainz wrote:

>  Hello,

hi,

>  I have installed debian-mips in and Indy and I have a couple of questions:
>
> 	o How do I use the mouse, I currently can't run X because they
> 	  can't find the mouse.
> 	  	o I read somewhere that I needed PS/2 support, but the
> 		  prebuild kernel seams to have no PS/2 support.

yes, prebuild kernel lacks PS/2 support.

> 		o Even MAKEDEV knows nothing about psaux.

create device manually
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Jun 10 03:09 /dev/psaux

> 		o There is some kind of streams-mouse which I don't know
> 		  how to use.
>
> 	o Where are the sources of the prebuild kernel?, so I could build
> 	  it myself.

you can build kernel from oss cvs (also read
http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html):

$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvs@oss.sgi.com:/cvs
$ cvs login
[passwd: cvs]
$ cvs co linux
$ cd linux
$ make menuconfig
$ make dep
$ make boot

then read
http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/indy-boot/indy-hd-boot-micro-howto.html

> 	o I am trying to build ssh and will probably try with some other
> 	  stuff, if I succed, what should I do to contribute the debs? I
> 	  guess mentioning it here and with a binary only NMU.

most of it is done. just set your /etc/apt/sources.list like this

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main

or use mirror near to you. i compiled gnome if someone is interested :-)
ftp://ftp.psi.cz/pub/ladinek/debian-mips/

> 	o If this works debian will run on 4 Indy's (CPU: R4600 133MHz
> 	  RAM: 96MB) at Salamanca University (Spain) and I will try to
> 	  make them as available as posible the debian-mips port ( keep
> 	  in mind that I am just a student and may not be allowed to do
> 	  much).

currently there's enough machines but not enough developers...

regards,
	Laďa