[debian-mips] Obscure error: Value too large for defined data type

hello,

I have just entered the mailing list, because I want to install Debian on an
Indy. The architecture is IP22.
The Indy should be diskless, therefor I have done the following:
- On an other SilGraphics-O2 I have unpacked the base2_2.2.tgz under /tftpboot.
  (this machine should provide the root filesystem)
- Copied the kernel vmlinux-2.4.3 from flo to /tftpboot/boot/
- sets up a the bootp-server

The base is from ftp.uni-mainz.de and the kernel is from ftp.rfc822.org. Both
links are from www.debian.org/ports/mips

- The base-system is not automatically configured yet, but after editing
  fstab, hostname and resolv.conf it seems to work fine. - how can I auto-
  matically do it? dpkg-reconfigure base-config does not work?!

-----

Now is the problem, that during booting I got the following message:
run-parts: failed to open directory /etc/rc.boot: Value too large for defined
datatype.

And dselect stops "select" with the same message:
dselect: cannot scan updates directory '/var/lib/dpkg/updates': Value too large
for defined datatype

Both directories are empty and if I touch a hello-file, both (run-parts and
dselect) complain with another message:
: Invalid argument
instead of ": Value too ...".

Can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks

Maik

Ferienklick.de - Jede Menge Urlaub auf einen Blick!
Hier geht's zu Ihrem Traumstrand: http://ferienklick.de/?PP=2-0-100-105-1