Re: mips sgi o2 r10000

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:24:12 +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:07:00PM +0100, Gürkan Sengün wrote:
>> on irc.debian.org (freenode) in #mipslinux i hear the arcboot has
>> patches to support most IPxx. using the kernel binary here i can boot
> Where are thoses? What are the problems? Why does arboot matter here?
my volumeheader partition is too small, and i didn't figure how to remove
it and create a new using the linux fdisk. (2mb) and the kernel i have
the 2.5.47 frrom the link i pasted is 3 mb or so.
arcboot seems to support loading kernels from ext2/ext3 partitions.

>> however installing fails, i tried fiddling with debootstrap but wasn't
>> successfull yet.
> Your problem isn't deboostrap or any other userspace program. It's the
> kernel.
the kernel i have 2.5.47 from glaurungs site is not good enough?
it boots nicely with a nfs-root.
http://www.linuks.mine.nu/o2r10k/

>> is there anything i can help with? i can provide probably remote access
> Debug the kernel. Ladis checked in heaps of changes for IP32 into 2.6.X
> and I'm almost sure he's happy about people helping on this.
maybe i'll try to find ladis on irc. i was told not to question
to get binaries of 2.6.x and just wait until they appear (as my
questioning would only slow down development, so i'm quiet).
i'm not a kernel hacker guy. but i can learn...

>> with nc or, build things or test things? i really want to see SGI O2
>> supported. alot of work has been done on mips support in during 2.5/2.6
>> linux kernel development. so far i tried also gentoo and netbsd stuff
>> without much luck. i hope debian will support these machines.
> Once you have a running kernel Debian support is a piece of cake.
i have a linux kernel running on my o2 (the 2.5.47) with nfs-root
(debian-installer). find me on irc.debian.org nickname tarzeau.
yours
gürkan