Re: boot disk upgrade

Hi,

Just catching up on debian-mips, and realized that nobody ever got back
to you on this (at least publicly).  So I'm not sure if you ever figured
this out.  I'm assuming that you already have a second disk in the
second bay on your O2, and that is why you are asking this question.
Otherwise you could copy everything directly over using dd, tar, or even
plain old cp.

So... assuming that you don't have any additional room on your current
/dev/sda to make tarballs and then scp them somewhere I would try to nfs
mount a filesystem from another machine and then tar up (don't forget
the "p" flag) all of your directories (/etc, /usr, etc.) leaving them on
the NFS server.  Lastly, dd your MBR (i.e. dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.img
bs=512 count=1)

(Of course, assuming you have a /dev/sdb and room you could copy them
there rather than an NFS mount.)

At this point swap disks, and boot from a CD.  This one works great for
me:

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/mips/livecd/rc5/gentoo-mips-sgi-livecd-rc5.img.bz2

I've used it on IP27 (Origin) and IP32 (O2) machines that won't netboot.
I've actually installed Debian on most of my SGIs via this CD and
bootstrapping Debian.

>From there you can fire up networking, mount a filesystem and be off to
the races, unpacking everything back onto your new disk.

Hope that helps?

-Chad