Re: What is the status of Debian on Lemote Fuloong?

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:47:06PM +0000, Code Blue wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please tell me the status of Debian on the Lemote Fuloong? I
> saw Lemote and MIPS Inc. have been submitting patches against the Linux
> kernel and binutils pretty regularly. I have been looking around but have
> not found any page that is current describing how to install Debian on the
> Fuloong Mini. I am hoping to get a very recent kernel to take advantages of
> the latest support for this device.
>
> I wanted to dual boot OpenBSD and some version of Linux on this box so while
> I still had the original configuration I partitioned the hard drive and then
> installed OpenBSD. I have partitions ready to go for the Debian installation
> but since the device doesn't have a CD or DVD drive and I was not able to find
> a bootable USB installer for it, I have no idea what to do next. All help
> will be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know the official status but I'm running Debian testing on my
fuloong. Most things seem to work, i was able to do a USB install. I
didn't find any good instructions for the install and I was unable to
get grub to work, so I'm currently putting up with very slow pmon boots.

It's a very slow machine, but I think that's just the nature of the
hardware.

At least when I tried, the debian-installer build doesn't have a driver
for the network chip in the fuloong, you have to find a regular kernel,
pull out the module, and pack it into debian installer. I've reported a
bug but there doesn't seem to be any action.

Michael