Debian (or anything else) on an Origin 200

I've got an Origin 200 here which I was hoping to be able to use as a big-endian development machine. It came with IRIX which it runs OK, so I'm fairly confident in the state of the hardware. I stuck a Zip disk in it as a potential extra boot device but I find that the firmware doesn't much like it, I was very amused though to find that IRIX auto-mounts it and judging from the colour I suspect that Iomega originally built these for SGI.

Does anybody know what the current Linux situation is? I can get the firmware to load a kernel either from disk or via TFTP, but it appears to "get lost" at the point where I'd expect the kernel to start generating console output:

>> boot -f dksc(0,1,0)/vmlinux.ip27-20060906.img
3704144+1231560+250128 entry: 0xa800000000490000

I've read http://members.optusnet.com.au/clausen/sgi/LINUX-IP27-HOWTO and anything else I can find via Google. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk