Re: Bringing Mobian closer to Debian

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 11:08 AM Arnaud Ferraris wrote:

> 1. packages already in Debian with a few additional patches for
>    improving the user experience on mobile devices (mostly GNOME apps
>    such as evince, gedit or gnome-contacts)
> 2. kernel and bootloader packages including out-of-tree patches
> 3. non-free binary firmwares

I expect all/most of these changes should go upstream and reach Debian
via new package releases.

> 4. Mobian base metapackages (meta-mobian) and customizations
>    (mobian-tweaks) [4]
> 5. device-specific metapackages ($device-support) and customizations
>    (mobian-$device-tweaks) [5]

What kind of things do these contain?

> (preferably in the 'main' area),

Source packages in main can produce binary packages in contrib, so
probably the way to go would be one mobile-something source package
that builds all the binary packages needed and puts them in the right
main/contrib component.

> custom kernels

Perhaps these could go to experimental?

> non-free packages

Those should be added to Debian non-free, unless they aren't
redistributable, if they aren't then Mobian are presumably also
affected by that.

> [5] https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices

This doesn't seem to be public, I get a password auth trying to clone it.

> [6] https://salsa.debian.org/DebianOnMobile-team/mobile-tweaks

Many of these seem like they should go upstream to glib2.0, gpsd,
systemd/udev, u-boot, Firefox, Qt, GNOME etc.

According to the systemd documentation for /etc/machine-info, CHASSIS
is a workaround for buggy firmware, so it sounds like
u-boot/grub2/something need fixing?

The source for adwaita-phone.jpg, adwaita-phone.blend, seems to be
missing from git, which I guess could be a DFSG item 2 violation.

> [7] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=974422#10

BTW, are you planning on packaging libusbgx, gadget-tool and gadgetd
for Debian? They provide a less fiddly experience for setting up USB
gadgets. We need help with them upstream though. gadgetd was abandoned
by Samsung/Tizen as they integrated more restricted functionality into
their init system, but I think it could be useful for mobile user
interfaces that could contact it over DBus.

https://github.com/linux-usb-gadgets
https://github.com/gadgetd/gadgetd
https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/search-results.html?search=gadget&id=655&simplesearch_offset=0

--