Re: JACK 0.98.1 in experimental

On 12 May 2004, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Robert Joerdens <robertjo@phys.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> > I wonder if we should change the default to starting the daemon even if
> > upstream doesn't do that yet.
>
> I would not recommend that.  We decided to release it dependent on
> JACK_START_SERVER because some clients use jack_client_new() to decide
> whether to use JACK or some other interface.  For them, this change
> was not entirely compatible, or at least the results were unexpected
> and sometimes undesired.
>
> We plan to provide a new jack_client_open() interface in the next
> release.  This will give clients explicit control over whether or not
> to start the server when it is not already running.
>
> Eventually, we plan to change the default behavior of
> jack_client_new(), but not until there has been an adequate transition
> peroid.  JACK has so many clients.  They need quite a long time to
> adjust to even subtle interface semantics changes.

Hmm, to make it more visible, what we could do is asking a debconf
question. The problem is that the current solution of setting a
environment variable is not very "Debian-friendly", which means
that I don't know of an easy way to enable the feature generally.
We would need wrapper scripts for every application that might
use jack. Setting global environment variables is generally not
a good thing to do.

It would be ideal if the jackdrc itself holds the information
if jackd gets automatically started or not.

Of course there are ways that the Debian package could be patched
to enable this, but acting differently than upstream is always a bad
thing.

What is the design behind the .jackdrc format ?
Or is it rather an ad-hoc solution ?

I think beside being useful for automatic server startup, it would
be nice to have jackdrc as a general configuration file, that also
works for the jackd command-line directly.

(sorry if I am talkin nonsense, I am not quite up to date how
JACK settings are stored actually)

It seems the settings are just stored as command line, which probably
does not scale very well, and it is difficult to parse, adapt and extend.

Seems that qjackctl uses a different format and file too, then later
there will be LASH ...

Guenter