Re: JACK 0.98.1 in experimental

Robert Jordens <robertjo@phys.ethz.ch> writes:

> I'd like to know where and why "jackd -dalsa" doesn't startup something
> usefull. We should work on that.

It does, doesn't it?  ("jackd -dalsa -dhw:0")

Now that we have the concept of a "default driver", we may make
`jackd' by itself start up something useful.  (The default driver is
first successfully configured one in this list: alsa, oss, portaudio,
iec61883, dummy.)

> What if we changes the meaning of the -T switch to no only mean "exit if
> noone is connected" but also "start if someone wants to connect"? That
> would obsolete JACK_START_SERVER and allow system-wide configuration in
> /etc/jackdrc.

Not sure exactly what you're proposing.

The -T switch is automatically prepended to any command issued via
JACK_START_SERVER.  If ~/.jackrc does not exist, /etc/jackd.conf is
also consulted.

We couldn't use the existence of these files as a signal to do the
automatic startup because qjackctl automatically writes ~/.jackdrc by
default on every explicit server startup.  If that had the side-effect
of triggering automatic server startup, it would confuse some programs
and many users.
--
  joq