Re: Jackd hell and other oddities

Hi Ismael,

> Here in Spain people just ask
"No Cubase, no Reason, no Ableton Live there!? Shit!"

It's not much different in the UK. Most electronic musicians seem to have very little respect for copyright or software licences, so trying to encourage them to use free software on the basis of the GPL's four freedoms is a bit futile.

The point I like to make to them is that the true innovators in electronic music didn't follow what everyone else did, they created their own tools. Still, it does explain why there's so much derivative dance music around. I remember when Rebirth first came out, it was like 'instant acid house, in a can'.

Which is
specially funny given that they usually are non authorized users of
that privative software. They use cracks and never payed a pennie for
using them. Maybe that's the point, they've always been using software
"for free", why should they be using "free" software?

Right, the TCO argument used in a corporate setting is irrelevant for them, because all software costs $0. I think the biggest practical disadvantage to crackware is that when your Windows PC inevitably screws up, you usually have to reformat the gigantic single C: drive partition, and all your music is lost (since this kind of person doesn't do backups).

> If you select no desktop packages,
then install a server kernel. If you select desktop packages, then
autoconfigure a preemptive kernel plus rtlimits plus high resolution
timer in sysctl.conf, etc.

That sounds like the right approach to me.

Cheers!

Daniel