GLASHCtl question

Hello!

I am the upstream author of the GLASHCtl program, which was recently
updated in testing. Out of curiousity I browsed the source package in
the SVN repository, and saw these patches:

Makefile:

-DOCS = AUTHORS COPYING README ChangeLog
+DOCS = AUTHORS README ChangeLog

I assume this is because the GPL is installed in a central place on
Debian systems?

Makefile.template:

-prefix = /usr/local
+prefix = /usr

...and this is to install it in the right prefix. This obviously
works, but I'd like to know the reason for changing the default
value instead of using 'configure --prefix=/usr' - if it is because
that method does not work on some system I'd like to know about it. =)

--ll