Re: Demo music in Debian?

Hi Fabian,

> there is the sound-theme-freedesktop package which is
> pulled in by all "big" desktop environments and contains a lot of sounds
> that could be used as "demo music". Unfortunately, the sound files are
> rather well hidden in the file system
> in /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo

That seems like a repackaging (and Ogg compression) of the files in
alsa-utils:

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/alsa-utils/filelist

These speech files can be used for soundcard tests:

/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Center.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Left.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Right.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Side_Left.wav
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Side_Right.wav

I would agree that actual music would be bloat. A "welcome to Debian"
message is a nice idea, but it would probably have to be localised.

Cheers!

Daniel