Re: Preparation of Kodi 19.0 "Matrix" packages

Hi Vasyl,

Vasyl Gello <vasek.gello@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. aug. 9., V, 9:47):

> Dear colleagues,
>
> As Kodi 18.8 is finally uploaded to unstable and 19.0~alpha1 is out upstream, let's discuss the practical feasibility of renaming the upstream branches in
> team's kodi and kodi-addon repositories to use 'upstream/latest' and 'upstream/x.x.x' names.

Sure, I'm OK with that scheme.

> In the repositories hosted in my personal Salsa space, I changed d/watch files to target only Matrix tarballs from the all-wildcard solution which was there for years. My intention here is to allow every separate pair of upstream + debian branch to track its own version of upstream Kodi, rather than block everything when the newest version is uploaded, say, to experimental.
>
> However, now we have the following unique situation: whole 18.x branch is present only in unstable, blocked by python2 deprecation transition from migration into unstable. It means that 19.0~alpha1 can be safely uploaded to experimental without any impact to testing. That in turn means we can
> still keep a single upstream branch and a wildcard d/watch entry.
>
> When Kodi 20 will be in development, Kodi 19 will receive security and critical functionality bugfix backports and at that time it surely will be in bullseye
> so we will have to separate the branches anyway to keep parallel packaging alive.

As I recall older Kodi/XBMC major releases were not maintained by
upstrea after a new major release was out thus maintaining parallel
releases was not necessary ( https://kodi.wiki/view/Releases ). If
that changes, then yes having those branches will be useful.

> So the question is: do we stick with single upstream branch in multimedia-team/kodi and wildcard d/watch until we have an absolute need to separate
> branches or we agree to do it now in advance?
>
> If we agree to rename branches, I will use the common scheme for all my personal repositories uploaded to NEW queue.

I'm OK either way. I think it is better to fork off upstream/18.x when
there is an actual 18.9 release and not creating branches in advance,
but if you prefer forking off the branch earlier then please do so.

Cheers,
Balint