Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 02:03:37PM -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote...
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 06:08:36PM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> When I submitted a scan of my Driver's License in early 1998, I used xpaint
> or the gimp or something to place black "censorship" rectangles over my
> actual driver's license number and social security number.  This was
> regarded as acceptable at the time.
>
> Would it still be?  I am nervous about Dale's desire to get a photo of
> every Debian developer, at least all the ones joining under the new
> process, but compelling people to submit uncropped, unedited scans of
> documentation like this really opens us up to charges of privacy invasion.

It seems to be still aceptable.  I sent a scan of my passport to my AM
few days ago with Signature and Passport numer blacked out. Not that I
wouldn't trust Debian with this info, I just dont't want my signature
to be digitized to be at all.
Maybe the NM page should clearly state that signatures and so can and and
should be blacked out. And furthermore, from what I have heared, even the
attempt to scan official documents like driver's licences or passports
is illigal in Germany, just like scanning money. Maybe other countries have
similar laws.

Personally I don't have anything against the current NM scheme. Identifying
applicants by photo-id is not about being able to track them down in an
evil case but more to judge if the applicant is serious enough about
joining Debian. The last thing we would want is somebody going MIA just
after few weeks.

--

	Oliver M. Bolzer
	oliver@gol.com

GPG (PGP) Fingerprint = 621B 52F6 2AC1 36DB 8761  018F 8786 87AD EF50 D1FF