Re: Elitists v's popularists (was Re: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation')

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 10:52:29AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> There are lots of things people can do to help debian, instead of just
> turning away people who want to HELP, why dont you be constructive and
> look for ways for them to be able to help and feel like part of the
> project without insulting your eletism.

Glenn, there's nothing elitist in Martin's proposal. We just want to avoid
wasting our AM time with people that just stick their email address in a box
in their web browser just to see what happens. There's nothing elite with
asking someone else to tell the AM that you've been helping in debian-user,
or you've reported many bug reports, or sent that cool patch against that
superbroken package. If you have some interest in Debian (that's why you
apply for Debian membership), surely you'll have done this sometime or
another. For example, you're active on -boot. That's enough to get someone
to recommend you. If someone comes by and nobody has seen him either on the
lists, BTS or whatever, it's not very probable he has a lot of interest in
Debian. People that show some involvement can use AM time, I don't want to
waste mine writing mail to people that don't know what I'm talking about, or
just don't answer back.

This will favour people like you, that's for sure.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E