Re: Long Lists of Question in NM [ was Re: Task and Skills messages ]

"Benj. Mako Hill" <mako@debian.org> writes:

> I half-jokingly believe our system, in some cases, privileges people
> who like researching and writing very long series of emails over
> people who enjoy going out and getting high quality programming work
> done in a consistent and reliable way. Imagine the flame wars of the
> future? :)

I have yet to have an applicant that did significant work for Debian but
would not/could not answer the T&S questions.  If they've already done
the work, answering the T&S questions should come easy to them.

All of my applicants who have failed to answer the questions weren't
doing anything for Debian anyway.  It's not a perfect system, but it
does seem to do a fair job of weeding out those who don't contribute to
Debian.

I think the biggest problem with the NM system is the number of people
who apply that haven't done anything worthwhile.  Probably at least 80%
of the people in the NM system are dead weight, and I think the
advocates are largely to blame.  So many advocates say something like,
"I met this guy and he said he wanted to do work for Debian, so I'm
advocating him."  That's completely useless.  The guy should have
already done work and have proved his value to Debian *before* he was
advocated.

--
You win again, gravity!